Monday, May 12, 2008

Racing Southbound to Baja? Prepare to be Inspected

Baja Racing EXCLUSIVE!

Southbound vehicle inspections at San Ysidro are not new. But, any southbound racers should be prepared to be boarded and inspected. The lines going INTO Mexico are getting longer every day. Don't even drive south on a Friday afternoon, the surface streets and the freeway are always locked up with traffic.

The federal government recently allocated more federal attorneys to prosecute more border related crimes. Including gun running, drugs and any other illegal activites. In fact, for years, its been on the drawing board to have permanent southbound vehicle inspections facilities. They will be built, it's just a matter of time. They are also inspecting for stolen cars attempting to go into Mexico.


"To all participants at the 40th.TECATE SCORE BAJA 500 happening on May 30, 31 and June 1, 2008, in Ensenada, Mexico please be advised of the following important information. If you are a participant racer, a race team or pit crew and have a vehicle longer than 18’ (overall length not counting towing vehicle), such an enclosed trailer, step van, truck or semi trailer, you should obtain a Temporary Importation Pediment. In order to get one you should observe and follow closely the steps listed below:

· Prepare a detailed inventory list of what you are bringing (Tools, parts,
Have a broker prepare the necessary paperwork for you to cross the border into Mexico, as well as the return documents that you should present when leaving the country, to prove that everything that came into Mexico is returning to the United States, otherwise it will be considered as a Definitive Importation resulting in having to pay taxes and fines.
· The Temporary Importation Status allows you to bring your equipment to participate in a motorsports event, without having to pay any tax or duty,the only charge you will pay is the Broker’s processing and administrative fees.
· Please direct any questions to your Customs Broker, such as where to
cross, crossing times, estimated waiting time, cost, etc.
· If you are going further south of San Quintin or staying in Mexico for more than 72 hours, it is required by Mexican Immigration Authorities that you obtain a Tourist Visa called DNI, it is a visa that allows you to travel (not good to work) legally thru the country as a Tourist/Visitor, it is good for a period of 180 days, and allows you to have multiple entries. The cost to obtain it is $21.00 USD approximately payable at a Bank near the Immigration office at the Port of Entry in Tijuana, Tecate, Mexicali, and you must show a valid and current Passport or original Birth Certificate.Drivers Licenses are not accepted for Immigration purposes since they are not proof of citizenship.
· Please remember that during your stay in Mexico you should always carry a current and valid Drivers License and a Mexican Insurance Policy while operating any motor vehicle.
· Drugs, firearms, weapons and explosives are forbidden in Mexico. Do not operate any type of vehicle under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

Regarding the inspections southbound, if the authorities 'happen' to find recreational drugs, during the process of automatic inspections, you are going to jail. Happy face placed here.