Thursday, September 10, 2009
Joe Byrd, Harold Goodman, Josh Upperman, Wayne Matlock Released
Several Honda backed ATV racers, including Joe Byrd, Harold Goodman, Josh Upperman and Wayne Matlock, got the call today that they would need to be looking elsewhere for support for the 2010 race season. “Last year they cancelled their road racing program and now this year it was the quads,” stated a very disappointed Joe Byrd. “I’ve got a very busy schedule for the off season and now I’ll have to make time to look for support for next year. I’ve been on a Honda for 23 years, so it’s going to be kind of weird being on something other than red.”
“I never saw it coming so I really don’t know what I’m going to do for next season now. I guess I’ll have to start looking for a new deal,” said Harold Goodman, who was on his way to Unadilla to race his first GNCC in five years when he got the news.
In the last year, Honda has undergone major restructuring, and with the passing of Bruce Ogilvie, who was the life blood of Honda’s ATV racing program, some were less surprised than others when they heard the news. However, all involved agree that it will be tough to find support with other manufacturers tightening their race budgets as well.
Budget issues have plagued the ATV industry since the nations economy began to go downhill, and it appears that is will also affect the dirt bike side as cutbacks in that program are imminent as well.
Even though times could be tough for next season, Joe Byrd remains optimistic and is still thankful for the support Honda has given him over the years. “I really do have to thank Honda for everything they have done for me in the past. They were good to ride for and I am disappointed I won’t be with them next season,” Byrd stated.
Honda has yet to release any details on their decision to cut their ATV racing efforts, but more information will be provided as it comes available.
Baja Racing News.com
Wednesday, September 09, 2009
NORRA SWITCHES GEARS TO AID HURRICANE VICTIMS
The National Off Road Racing Association (NORRA) announced today the postponement of its forthcoming Mexican 1000 Rally scheduled for September 16-20. In the aftermath of the violent hurricane which affected a major portion of the Baja peninsula, NORRA officials and Mexican authorities came to the difficult decision to postpone the rally until early 2010.
"With 1000's of people still requiring assistance and the most basic of necessities, it would be terribly disrespectful for NORRA to hold an event at this particular point in time and tax the resources and people of this wonderful peninsula", said NORRA co-founder Michael Noval. "While NORRA appreciates the incredible outpouring of support and enthusiasm for the Mexican 1000 rally, in the end the decision to reschedule the event for 2010 was an easy one for all concerned.
It is simply the only correct thing to do".
Hurricane Jimena affected a large portion of the Baja peninsula when it made landfall on September 3, 2009, Areas surrounding the towns of Mulege, Loreto and Cuidad Constitution were devastated, including damaged roads, lack of electricity and running water. For the immediate future, NORRA will provide assistance to the ongoing relief efforts on the peninsula. As Baja recovers, NORRA will continue to provide updates on the new date for the Mexican 1000 Rally.
NORRA urges all participants, racers, and the off-road community at large to pitch in and lend some support to our Baja neighbors. NORRA is actively seeking donations of clothing, canned food, dry goods, basic shelter (tents, tarps etc) and financial support. Now that the event has been postponed, a list of drop off locations will be posted on its website as they receive and confirm details with interested volunteers.
For more information, questions and/or comments, please contact Michael Noval at 325-258-39134, or visit the NORRA website: www.norra.com or send email to: email@example.com to receive information about the items in greatest demand.Baja Racing News.com